Cakes that kids will eat seem to come in only two flavors: vanilla and chocolate. But what about a cake that consists of cherries and almond extract? Before you think, “There’s no way that my kid would ever eat that”, you’d be surprised at how kid-friendly this cherry almond cake recipe is from Olympian JoJo Starbuck. Because with ingredients like sour pitted cherries, almond, confectioner’s sugar (and a stick of better), it’s as delish as you might imagine.
She may be a star on the ice, but JoJo Starbuck is also a queen in the kitchen, too. She shared her recipe for Cherry Almond Cake with us, and it’s just divine. “It is so yummy,” says JoJo. “I would suggest that you make two at a time and give one to someone you love!”
So break out your springform pan and get your kiddos in the kitchen to bake this cake that will have everyone asking for an extra slice.
JoJo Starbuck’s Recipe for Cherry Almond Cake
Cherry Almond Cake - JoJo Starbuck
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 heaping cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 tsp almond extract
- 1 15 oz. can of sour pitted cherries, drained
- dash of salt
- Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Cream butter and sugar well, add egg yolks, one at a time, beat well after each one.
- Add dry ingredients and extracts.
- Fold in stiffly beaten egg whites.
- Pour batter into well-greased 9” springform pan.
- Place drained cherries over top and sprinkle with a little granulated sugar.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about one hour or until cake tester comes out clean.
- Cool on rack, and then remove from springform pan.
- Slice and serve.