Pasta makes the perfect dinner, especially for picky eaters. And this recipe from Danny Lapidus of the children’s band Hot Peas ‘N Butter is an homage to the band’s name, since the pasta dish also features peas as one of its main ingredients. But if you notice that the creaminess component of the dish comes from cottage cheese, don’t be concerned. “The beauty of this recipe is that it can be as high or low fat as you want,” says Lapidus. “You can use low-fat cottage cheese and sour cream if you prefer — but I prefer not! Sounds strange, but, tastes great!!”
Pasta with Peas
- 1 box rotini or bow-tie pasta
- 1 1/2 large containers cottage cheese
- 2 tbsp. sour cream
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1 box frozen peas
- salt to taste
- Heat a large pot of boiling salted water.
- Cook pasta and a few minutes before it is done, add peas.
- Finish cooking and drain water.
- Coat pot with a small amount of butter (to prevent sticking), and return peas and pasta to the pot.
- Add the cottage cheese, mix well and salt to taste.
- Add sour cream and serve.