Feeding a family of six children is no easy feat, but Nicole Woody has it down pat with her delish recipe for Overnight Caramel French Toast. Adapted from Cooking Light, Nicole (whose husband is New York Jets’ offensive lineman Damien Woody), uses challah bread as the main ingredient. And if the kids are behaving extra good? “The kids love it when I sprinkle powdered sugar on top” says Nicole. This will become a sweet favorite in your household, too.
Overnight Caramel French Toast
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup light-colored corn syrup
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 loaf challah, sliced 2 inches thick
- 2 1/2 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 1 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsps. vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tbsp. granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- powdered sugar for dusting
- Combine the brown sugar, corn syrup and butter in a small saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat 5 minutes or until mixture is bubbly, stirring constantly.
- Pour mixture evenly into a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Arrange challah bread slices in a single layer over syrup in dish.
- Combine milk, flour, vanilla, salt and vanilla in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk.
- Pour egg mixture over challah.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 8 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Combine 2 tablespoons granulated sugar and cinnamon.
- Sprinkle evenly over bread.
- Bake at 350° for 50 minutes or until golden.
- Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar, if desired.