You may know (and love) him as Gordon from Sesame Street, but actor Roscoe Orman is quite the cook in the kitchen. In fact, Orman believes that cooking is an extension of his own creativity. He’s inspired by his grandfather, who was a master chef. Perhaps that explains why Orman enjoys and finds relaxation in the art of cooking from his southern roots — and why his recipe for Spoonbread with Cheddar and Jalapeno will show you how to get to Sesame Street.
Spoonbread with Cheddar and Jalapeño
- 8 large eggs, separated and at room temperature
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 cup half and half
- 3 tsp. butter
- 3 cups fresh or frozen corn
- 1/2 cup Vidalia onion
- 3 tsp. virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. pepper
- 1 1/2 cups yellow corn meal
- 1 1/2 cups grated aged sharp cheddar
- 1-2 large jalapeños, finely diced
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Heat the milk and the half/half to almost boiling.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Saute the onion with olive oil until translucent in a medium-deep skillet.
- Add butter then the corn, stir and sauté for about 5 minutes.
- Add the cornmeal to the corn and onions and cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove the cornmeal mixture from the heat.
- Add the mix mixture to the cornmeal.
- Transfer cornmeal to large mixing bowl.
- Stir in the cheese and peppers. Beat in the egg yolks. Let the mixture cool to room temp.
- Beat your egg whites. They should be stiff. Add them to your mixture careful not to deflate the whites. You should use a rubber spatula.
- Transfer to a lightly oiled soufflé dish or several small soufflé dishes. Reduce temperature down to 375 and bake for 35-40 minutes.Enjoy!