When Taco Tuesday is calling your name (but you’re also looking for some lasagna, too), you might need to make a mashup of the two delicious dishes. That’s what Christie Rampone, captain of the United States Women’s National Soccer Team, did. She created a dish that has everything you’d love about tacos (think black beans, seasoned ground beef, and shredded Mexican cheese) but instead of tangling with taco shells, she layers the ingredients into a lasagna that everyone will eat.
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- 1 15 oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 15 oz. can Mexican diced tomatoes, undrained
- 6 flour tortillas
- 1 16 oz. can refried beans
- 3 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend
- In a large skillet, cook beef, green pepper and onion over medium heat till meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Add water and taco seasoning; bring to boil, reduce heat, simmer uncover for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the black beans and tomatoes, simmer and uncover for 10 minutes.
- Place 2 tortillas in a greased 13" x 9" x 2" baking dish.
- Spread with 1/2 of the refried beans and beef mixture; sprinkle with 1 cup of cheese and repeat layers.
- Top with remaining tortillas and cheese.
- Cover and bake at 350 for 25-30 mins. or till heated completely through and cheese is melted.