Cute little cakes are always a crowd pleaser, but madeleines might make it to a whole other level of deliciousness. The small sponge cakes (which originated in France) are known for their distinctive shell-esque shape and light and airy texture. While they’re absolutely yummy all on their own, you can easily elevate these tasty treats with this recipe for lemon madeleine meringue parfaits. Using Lemon Madeleines from Sugar Bowl Bakery, it’s an easy way to welcome spring — and have a yummy dessert, too.
Lemon Madeleine Meringue Parfaits
- 4 Sugar Bowl Lemon Madeleines
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 eggs (not separated)
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp meringue powder
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- In a small sauce pan, whisk eggs, sugar, oil and lemon juice.
- Cook cover medium heat for 4 minutes until thickened.
- Strain into a small bowl, cover with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator to chill for 20 minutes.
- In a mixer with whisk attachment, add meringue powder, sugar, water and vanilla.
- Whisk on high for 5 minutes until stiff peaks form.
- In each of the two parfait cups, crumble one Lemon Madeleine and press into the bottom of the glass.
- Pour half of the cooled lemon filling on top of the pressed Lemon Madeleine.
- Fill piping bag with the meringue and pipe half onto the top of each parfait with swirling motion.
- Place the second Madeleine into the top of each parfait.
- If desired toast the top portion of the meringue with a kitchen torch or carefully under the broiler.
- Garnish with a small slice of lemon and enjoy!