Chips and guac go together like, well, chips and guac. But serving guacamole in a bowl can be so boring, especially when you can make it more festive. If Halloween is hauntingly around the corner, you can get creative with your gourd and transform it into a puking pumpkin. It will be a freakishly fun way to get your guests to eat this fun appetizer.
Although it might look complicated, It’s fairly simple to make a puking pumpkin. All you need to do is pick out a pumpkin (medium sized ones are best), a good knife, and some beefy biceps to scoop out the pumpkin guts. Once the outside of the pumpkin has gotten a bath in warm water and a splash of dish liquid, and the pulp has been removed, it’s time to get your gourd on. Pat the insides of the pumpkin so that the scent of the pulp doesn’t inadvertently mix with your app.
While you can carve the eyes, nose, and mouth of the pumpkin, you don’t really have to do that much work. Using a Sharpie pen or a black marker, draw two eyes in the shape of a horizontal V (or in elementary school mathematics terms, a less-than sign). You can add eyebrows if you want, but they’re not really necessary, since the star of this signature app is its mouth. Be sure to draw a decent-sized circle, and carve it out.
Placing the pumpkin on a serving tray, add the guac just into the inside the pumpkin’s mouth. You don’t want to place the guacamole too far inside since guests will be scooping primarily on the outside. Add enough guac outside the mouth and onto the tray to make the puke look pretty plentiful. Scatter chips alongside the sides of the vomit for an app that’s positively putrid.
- 1 pumpkin, washed
- 1 16 oz. container prepared or fresh guacamole
- 1 bag tortilla chips
- Wash and dry pumpkin.
- Carve out top of pumpkin. Keep stem. Set aside.
- Using a scooper, remove the pulp from the inside of the pumpkin.
- Pat the inside of the pumpkin dry.
- Draw eyes on the outside of the pumpkin using a black marker or Sharpie.
- Draw a circle on the pumpkin and carve it out.
- Place pumpkin on serving tray.
- Spoon guacamole slightly inside the mouth of the pumpkin.
- Add extra guacamole on the outside of the mouth to look like vomit.
- Place tortilla chips around the guacamole.