It seems like everyone has a great chili recipe, but Morgan Taylor’s chili takes the, um, bowl. Morgan, who is the brainchild of the little yellow alien from the Sun, Gustafer Yellowgold, makes this recipe for his wife Rachel and their son, Harvey. Morgan makes his chili vegetarian style with a beef substitute, but you can always use ground beef instead.
Morgan says: “This is a party-sized portion, or enough to make, freeze and eat for days. As with many chilis, this is always better after it has been chilled and reheated. But who can wait?” We agree; let’s dig in.
Gustier Yellowgold's Chili Recipe
- 2 cans kidney beans
- 1 can garbanzo beans
- 2 cans white navy beans
- 1 can black beans
- 4 large onions
- 2 cans chopped tomatoes
- 1 can plain tomato sauce
- 1 small can tomato paste
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup tomato ketchup
- 6 cloves minced garlic
- 1 pack Ives brand ground beef substitute (optional)
- 1 1/4 cup olive or sunflower oil
- 3 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. celery salt
- 1 tsp. Jamaican allspice
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 10 Tabasco squirts (optional)
- 1 lb. cooked spaghetti
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 cup oyster crackers
- Puree 3 of the onions first.
- In a large cooking vessel add the chopped garlic to the heated oil and lightly brown.
- If you choose to add beef or the beef substitute, brown it in oil first.
- Add the pureed onions and brown.
- Add canned tomatoes and sauce.
- Rinse each can of beans in a strainer under cold water and add them.
- Add all the other ingredients and simmer for a couple of hours, stirring often.
- Serve over hot spaghetti and top with chopped raw onions and grated cheese.
- Serve with oyster crackers and Tabasco sauce.