Breakfasts during the week are usually a fast bowl of cereal or some quickly toasted bread. But come the weekend, break out the mixing bowls and serve up this healthy (and yummy) recipe for bran bud muffins from Olympian Nicole Pikus-Pace. “I make these bran bud muffins every week,” says Nicole. “They’re high in fiber and delicious! I like to hide little vegetables so I’ll put zucchini from my garden in them!”
- 1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice (If you don’t have pumpkin pie spice you can use 1 tsp cinnamon 1/2 tsp ginger 1/4 tsp nutmeg)
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 cups bran buds (Kellogg's All Bran cereal preferred)
- 1 1/4 cups boiling water
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup skim milk
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup raisins
- Preheat oven to 400F and lightly spray muffin pans with cooking spray or line with cupcake papers.
- Stir together flour, baking powder & soda, pumpkin pie spice and salt; set aside.
- In large mixing bowl, stir together cereal and boiling water; let stand 2 minutes OR until water is absorbed.
- Mix sugar into softened cereal until well combined.
- Stir in milk and oil.
- Add egg and raisins; beat well.
- Add flour mixture, stirring just until combined.
- Portion batter evenly into lightly greased muffin cups.
- Bake about 20 minutes or until top of muffins are light golden and spring back when lightly touched.