When you’re looking for easy breezy apps to make, you can’t come close to shrimp. Naturally delicious on its own with some simple seasonings, it can be served hot or cold, and cooks up in mere minutes. But if you want to create a delicious appetizer from this crusty crustacean, Ariane Duarte from Bravo’s Top Chef has one that is absolutely amazing. Her recipe for Tequila Shrimp only has a few ingredients (think garlic, cilantro, lemon juice, etc.), but the star of the recipe is (you guessed it) tequila. In fact, there’s about one cup’s worth of the good stuff that you’ll use to marinate the shrimp, either overnight or at least two hours. And once you open the bottle, it’ll be up to you to decide if you’re serving up shots with the shrimp dish, too.
- 2 lb. 16-20 count shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 cup tequila
- 2 cloves chopped garlic
- 20 sprigs cilantro
- 2 tbsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp. salt
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- Combine everything except the shrimp in a large non-reactive bowl and toss together.
- Add shrimp.
- Marinate in refrigerator at least 2 hours, or overnight.
- Grill on each side for approximately 2-3 minutes.
- Serve warm or room temperature.
Whether you’re looking for a “spirited” app or an easy dinner, this recipe for tequila shrimp can make mealtime delicious.