Sure, it might take two to make a thing go right, but not when it comes to mac ‘n cheese. At least, that’s what April Ginyard believes. The wife of legendary hip hop icon Rob Base, April knows that in order to make a meal outta sight, you need cheese — and a lot of it. She shared her recipe for mac ‘n cheese that she makes for hubby Rob and their family. It’s full of cheesy goodness like cheddar, Velveeta, Asiago, and Gruyere that make this dish both decadent and filling. Serve as a main dish with a side salad, and you’ll have a kid-friendly crowd pleaser that’s sure to get the party, err, dinner, started.
Mac 'N Cheese
- 2 16 oz boxes elbow macaroni
- 1/2 lb. Gruyere cheese
- 1/2 lb. Asiago cheese
- 16 oz. box Velveeta Cheese, cut into cubes
- 3 10 oz. packages cheddar cheese (we prefer Cracker Barrel!)
- 6 large eggs
- 1 qt. milk (either whole or half & half)
- 2 sticks butter
- 2 tsp. salt, or to desired taste
- 2 tsp. black pepper, or to desired taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large pot of boiling, salted water, cook the pasta to al dente.
- When pasta is done, drain and then pour into a large baking pan with 2 sticks of butter and Velveeta cheese.
- Season with salt and pepper and mix ingredients well.
- In a separate bowl, mix eggs and then pour mixture into macaroni.
- Add half the milk and all of the Gruyere & Asiago cheeses.
- Mix well, then add the rest of the milk and cheddar cheese, mixing well.
- Save ½ cup of cheddar cheese to layer across the top.
- Bake for 30 to 45 minutes or until top is melted & golden.
- Let it rest for 15 minutes, then dig in!