With their puckery pockets and elastic ends, fitted sheets sure can be frustrating to fold. But unlike (ahem) flat sheets, which you can sometimes skip using, you’re going to need fitted sheets to cover your mattress. Thing is, you don’t want to just ball them up and pull them out of your linen closet when you’re ready to make your bed. Here’s how you really fold a fitted sheet, so that it’s smooth and (almost) wrinkle-free.
- Hold the sheet inside-out by the two corners of one of the shorter edges and place your hands inside.
- Bring your hands together, and fold one corner over the other. Pick up the corner hanging in front; bring it up, and fold it over the two corners in your hand.
- Bring up the last corner, and fold it over the others.
- Fold in the edges so the elastic is hidden.
- Fold the sheet into a rectangle, and continue folding until it’s the size you’d like.
It might never be your favorite part of doing laundry, but having fitted sheets that somewhat resemble a square means that you can keep your shelves tidy…and find them when you need them.